ABOUT ARTS & RESEARCH
Copyright 2019. Helen Sharkey.
ARTS CAREER: SELECTED VISUAL ARTS PROJECTS * AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE ^
CURRENT WORK EXPERIENCES:
Facilitates real time felting demonstraations for the public most Fridays from 10am to 2pm at 'Strangford Lough Gallery', Belfast.
Elected Secretary of St. George's Market NMTF Management Committee. Elected annually by 175 businesses to manage, represent
and lobby for them at BCC meetings with Development Committee (Market Unit). Also Volunteer Consultant to BCC Market's Unit.
Owner of Strangford Lough Gallery, Belfast. Creates unique ltd edition prints, paintings, sculpture, mixed media and dry felt textiles.
PAST ARTS-RELATED WORK EXPERIENCES:
*Creative Peninsula: Open Studio and Facilitated Felt Tapestries workshops at "The Yard Gallery", Holywood.3 hour felting workshops.
* Currently manage/facilitate public arts/craft pop-up workshops at St. George's Market, Belfast called 'St. George's Craft Workshops'.
* Invited artist/ Demonstrator at Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts, Green Crafts Village, dry feltingarts/ crafts.
* National Trust/ Castle Ward Arts & Crafts Group. Managed 24 artists. Did weekly painting/ sculpture demonstrations, Downpatrick.
^"Nam Myoho Renge Kyo"-SGI / Nichiren Daishonin's Principles of 'The 10 Worlds' & an individual's 'Human Revolution' presentation
*^Ards Arts Collective, Arts Demonstrations (pastels and painting), Ards Arts Centre, Newtownards, County Down, Northern Ireland.
* NI/USA Community Arts Sector Exchange Research Project: Managed 21 arts groups/across 6 US states of NJ, MD, PA, NM, CA, WA
^*Healing Through Remembering (HTR) and Queen’s University Belfast (QUB), Belfast, N. Ireland. Facilitated workshops to field mgrs.
^ Mount Vernon Archive,Loughview Community Action Partnership, Belfast. Managed/taught 6 research archive theory/ practice class.
* Gandhi-King-Ikeda:Peace-Builder's Exhibition, QUB/ SGI. Belfast. Installed travelling international multi-cultural peace exhibition
^*Cinderella does Strategy; Mount Vernon Pantomime for M.V.C.D.F:Facilitated costume workshops for Gerri Moriarty Play, Belfast.
^* Friends Forever, Rotary Club/ Carrickfergus Council, Co. Antrim. Managed series of workshops for cross-community teenagers.
^*P.A.C.T.2: Cultural Tolerance/ Integrated Ed. Grant/ PeaceII, Irish Arts & Culture Project, Ballyearl Centre & St. Malachy’s P. Sch.
^*Star Neighbourhood Mural Project, New Lodge, North Belfast. Managed workshops with teengagers who created two indoor murals
^*ACNI/ Year of the Artist. 5,000 piece concrete mural, Carrickfergus, N.Ireland. Managed workshops for 2 months with 83 youths.
^ Ards Sculpture Symposium,Carradore Castle, ACNI/AAC, N.Ireland.BallyWalter Gazebo/Mixed media installation;20ft x 20ft x 20ft
* Schuler’s School of Fine Arts, Independent Arts School, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Visual arts and annual exhibitions for 4 years.
*^School 33 Art Center, Baltimore City Dept of Arts and Culture, MD, USA. Arts residency, two years. Sculpture and collage murals.
* Walter's Arts Museum and Baltimore Museum of Industry: Sub-contracted designer and maker of unique props and sets,MD,USA
^ Towson State University. Undergrads. Sculpture, Towson, Maryland, USA. Taught Sculpture and mold making workshops/demos.
^ Goucher College, Maryland State Arts Camp (2 Summers), Maryland,USA. Taught Clay and plaster sculpture /mold making class.
^*‘Rec. Pier.,’ Sculpture workshops, Baltimore City Dept. of Recreation+/NEA. Managed clay sculpture workshops, in 'Fells Point'.
* The Becker Group and Feats Inc.:Sub-contracted for event design and installation of seasonal/ bespoke props/sets,Baltimore,USA
*^Artists in Education, MD State Teacher/ Roland Park Jnr. High Sch, MD, USA. Clay mold making/ high relief clay mural for school.
^ The Maryland Institute:Teaching assistant,Years 3-4,Baltimore, Maryland,USA. Sculpture, ceramics and history of art/ arts theory.